Thank you so much Daria @Bookaholic’s Therapy for nominating me for this award! (I’m even more late than you were on posting yours… over a month!!) Exams + life = no blogging, unfortunately. But hey! I’m doing it now. Please check out Daria’s blog if you haven’t already, she’s super sweet and lovely and awesome.
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you, and display the award.
- Answer the 11 questions posed by the blogger who nominated you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 blogs.
- Give these blogs 11 questions to answer!
Do you have any weird reading habits?
Hmm, not any that I can think of really… except maybe that in order to read classics and literary fiction I really need a physical copy? An audiobook might help me get through some, but I definitely need the physical copy, not an ebook. Maybe it’s the motivation factor of seeing and feeling the book? I’m not really sure, but it’s definitely a weird one.
Did you ever dream of becoming a writer?
For sure! I wrote a lot of beginnings-of-novels and even occasionally middles-of-novels, poetry, and short stories. My novels always died out around the 30-40,000 word mark though as I felt like I grew up faster than I could write and the plots just started to feel juvenile. I have a really long summer this year though, so maybe I’ll finally give it another go?! I have no intentions of making being a writer my full time job/career, but it would be a fun career!
What’s a place you really want to visit?
At the moment, it would have to be South Korea. I’ve been learning the language for a little bit, and I’m really interested not only in the modern culture, but in the history of the region as well. I was planning to go in June, but that plan is kind of paused because of the coronavirus, but I will definitely be going this summer if I can!
What’s your rainy day song/playlist?
I have a couple of go-tos: anything from RM’s mono playlist/album is great for those introspective, contemplative feels. If I want something a little more emotional and sad I like to go for some Adele, or some Lee So Ra.
Do you use something special as a bookmark?
Not really… but unlike some people, I never use anything but a bookmark! If I don’t have one to hand I’ll just remember the page number. For me, bookmarks are really about giving me a visual representation of how far I am in a book, and also for allowing me to flip easily to a page, but I hate using receipts etc. as bookmarks!
What’s something that you loved in your childhood that you don’t like anymore?
Hmm… a lot of the things I liked as a really young child just have a special place in my heart, so I still like them. If I skip to the sort of 11-13 age bracket however… I have a never-ending list, the top of which being Twilight and anything dystopian (I really can’t read dystopian books anymore… maybe I’ll do a post about why at some point).
What’s a new genre that you recently got really into?
Translated fiction! Now, don’t get me wrong- I’ve never limited myself to English-language books, not at all, but recently I’ve been really specifically searching for Japanese and Korean literature in translation. Haruki Murakami has kind of started an obsession and to be honest, I’m not too mad about it.
What book made you feel hungry?
Books don’t usually make me feel hungry! Maybe a cookbook? Although I will say that The Royal Tutor Vol. 5 by Higasa Akai made me want to drink coffee because of how it was described (I am not a coffee fan, if you didn’t know).
What, in your opinion, is the perfect weather for reading?
I love it when it’s a bit stormy outside- it’s a perfect natural ambience. Otherwise, sunny weather with birdsong is a nice alternative (especially if you want to read outside).
What’s a book that played with your mind?
Perfume by Patrick Süskind! It’s from the perspective of a murderer… who just doesn’t think like anyone else. Haunting and kind of disturbing, but also really interesting. Definitely one of my all-time favourite classics, and I highly recommend.
Do you like scented candles? If so, what scent?
I do… but I never burn them! I don’t burn candles because… fire. However, I do keep scented candles around and occasionally give them a good sniff. My favourites are usually spicy ones that smell like christmas/winter spices, but I feel like I have to save those for that time of year. I also like delicate floral scents and vanilla! I’m not a big fan of ones that smell overly sickly or like soap though.
11 Facts About Me
- I’m from the UK, but I lived in Germany/Switzerland from the age of 5 until I was 14!
- On the same kind of note… I’ve never lived at one address for more than 5 years!
- One of my goals in life is to speak a ton of languages! So far I speak English (obviously), and my German is pretty good. I have a bit of (very rusty) French, and I’m currently learning Korean!
- I absolutely love kids. So much.
- My parents like to joke that I was born 30. My mum also told me that I’m not a native English speaker. At the time I protested, but now I’m inclined to agree… sometimes my English is just that bad.
- I much prefer to travel alone than with other people!
- But… I get really awkward when doing new things by myself, even if it is just trying out a new cafe! I always have to do a ton of research. I really want to work on overcoming this fear over the next couple of years.
- I’m currently (or well, about to start) focusing on my health! Over the past 2ish years I’ve put on a lot of weight and not really done much exercise and I just feel… unhealthy and weak. I can do this! (right?)
- On a similar topic, I used to do ballet (from the age of 2 until I was 14), but I never found somewhere I liked where I live at the moment so I kind of stopped, but I’m determined to get back into it- I miss feeling strong and graceful!
- I’m half scottish! (I feel like I needed a less heavy fact after the emotional-offloading that this post has turned into).
- I’m super affectionate. I really love hugs, and I sleep tucked into a nest of blankets because cuddles. I’ve been working on not forcing my affection onto others though, because not everyone is as physically affectionate as I am!
Like Daria, I’m not going to nominate 11 blogs… but here are some (not all) of my favourite bloggers!
Questions for my nominees
- What is your favourite colour? Has it changed over your life, and if so, why?
- If you were kidnapped and were allowed one phone call before they killed you, who would you call?
- Do you ever think that the movie/TV show is better than the book?
- What is the song you have on repeat the most at the moment?
- What is something you like to do to relax?
- Do you believe in things like astrology?
- If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would that sentence be?
- What is a fictional character you hated?
- Do you have a book you loved, but you don’t think you will ever read again?
- What is something that everyone else seems to be able to do, but you just can’t? (For example, I cannot roll my rs).
- What is your favourite food?
And that was it for this post! I hope you enjoyed!! What is something that you really want to do at the moment?!!!